Monday, April 30, 2007

US Supreme Court: police can kill to stop high speed chase

As a Texan with moderate political views (more to the conservative side when it comes to crime) this has been a long time coming. Criminals who try to run from the police causing a danger to others have to be stopped and quickly. The translation from this case has been that police may use deadly force to stop a fleeing criminal. TO me personally that should always be the case. While many of my friends will be upset about this verdict, I can't help but think that people who are not guilty would not run. As an avid viewer of "Cops" t.v. show, I hear time and time again criminals who are caught saying they were afraid of the police. When in truth they were afraid of getting caught and going to jail. I feel police protection and strong criminal penalties are the only good thing to come from this Republican Supreme Court. The court has been and will be very weak on environmental protections, which I personally feel is extremely wrong. Big oil and big business does not need the protections being granted by this court and my area federal court, the 5th Circuit. While many will feel fear now from the police, the right thing to do has always been to stop and take your punishment. The old saying still applies, if you can't do the time then don't do the crime.

Scott v. Harris

No comments: