Friday, March 30, 2007

Gas prices?

I'm concerned, almost shocked, that no one is talking about the rapidly rising price of gas. Sure there is the great potential for another military conflict between the US, Britain and Iran, but is that speculation really a reason for gas prices to jump so high? Despite the "Russian leak" I don't think we will actually be going to "war" within the next week. Sure we never really know but its doubtful.

I reside in South Texas, home to a refinery and we have always had inexpensive gas. Today its $2.49 for reg unleaded. I'm sure in other parts of the country its higher. I'm well aware that my 2nd favorite state, California, has the highest prices (no doubt punishment for their anti-republican views). Anyway, no one seems to notice this problem. No one, other than a few people who post on Digg, del.icio.us, and a couple blogs are really talking about a conflict with Iran. Ok a few political news shows mention it too, but the general public does not seem to care. Or maybe they just have not noticed yet. Am I wrong? Are people talking about it and I'm just not hearing it? How can we not be outraged at this rise in gas prices? Is there any less demand today than yesterday or a month ago when we paid closer to $2 rather than $3. It just seems strange to me that there does not appear to be much outrage out in the public over these rising prices. Maybe we are all too distracted by the potential for conflict and the current military situation in Iraq.

No comments: